Thursday, January 3, 2008

Cotes du Rhone Domaine du Grand Prieur, 2006

I posted a note on the 2005 Grand Prieur earlier, and have been waiting anxiously for the 2006. At $7.99 (minus discount) I bought a case without even trying one because I know from experience that this wine never disappoints. And it didn't.

It's very deep and dark with powerful scents of black licorice, minerals, black fruits and purple flowers. Very dense and deep, more like Vacqueyras or Rasteau than Cotes du Rhone. At this stage the wine is bursting with fresh fruit flavors from front to back; it would be a shame not to drink several bottles right away before it loses this youthful charm. But it also comes in a serious package with good depth and concentration of flavors. A very long finish.

I've never kept Grand Prieur wines longer than one or two years, but this one seems to have the stuffing to last a bit longer. At the price, I may go for another case.

No comments:

Post a Comment