Monday, October 2, 2023

Domaine l'Oratoire Saint Martin Reserve des Seigneurs, 2015

The Cairanne wines of l'Oratoire Saint Martin favor elegance over power, and that is one reason I like them so much. It is my favorite Cairanne estate.

Beautiful deep ruby color. 60% Grenache, 30% Mourvedre, 10% Syrah. The purplish tints of Mourvedre are apparent in the color, even though they take a back seat to the Grenache in the smells and flavors. Red raspberries and strawberries in the forefront supported by deep black and blue fruit from the Mourvedre and Syrah. Ripe, rich fruit, medium bodied. Sits lightly on the palate and offers up a cascade of intense flavors on the long finish. I would say this wine is near or at its peak, but I am sure it will hold there for several years.  The Reserve generally drinks earlier than the old vine Prestige bottling, now known as Douyes. I like both.

No comments:

Post a Comment