Saturday, September 2, 2023

Chateau Reynella Basket Pressed McLaren Vale Cabernet Merlot, 1994

I paid $7.99 for this wine at D&W in Kalamazoo when it was released nearly 30 years  ago.. I believe Brian Cain was handling wine for D&W at that time, and he always brought in a great selection of affordable Australian and Southern Rhone wines. We drank many bottles of this and the Basket P ressed Shiras back then, and I believe I even served some at my daughter's wedding in 2005. Even then, though, this wine never showed the nobility that it is showing tonight.

Still a deep, dark robe of color when a full glass is poured. A classic Cabernet Merlot but definitely New World in its style. Red currants, black currants and a lifted note of mint. Rich, rich flavors. Dusty tannins with more acidity than is typical of an Australian red. More red than black currants. Elegance personified.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment