Sunday, February 7, 2021

Domaine du Haut des Terres Blanches Chateauneuf du Pape, 1998

 

Domaine du Haut des Terres Blanches owns prime land and good vineyards, but this 1998 is not my favorite vintage of its Chateauneuf du Pape. This bottle, though, is not the total disaster that other bottles I have opened have been. I suspect that storage and transportation before the wine reached me is one reason for the bottle variation.

Dark color for a Grenache-based wine and a great deal of crusted sediment in the bottle. A bouquet is almost non-existent; made me question my covid status. But, no, the problem is with the wine, not my nose. On the second night, I find pleasant cherry- and blueberry-based flavors along with a moderately rich texture and some interesting after notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment