Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Duck Pond Willamette Valley Chardonnay, 2019

When we attended (via Zoom), the American Wine Society tasting led by Jim Bernau, founder of Willamette Valley Vineyards in Oregon, I was impressed by the Pinot Noir (as expected) but even more impressed by the 2017 Bernau Block Chardonnay. It was, for me, a whole new experience in Chardonnay. Tonight, I opened a much less expensive Willamette Valley Chardonnay and am excited all over again.

Deep yellow. Intense smells and flavors of lemon custard, flowers and just a hint of seasoned French oak. Not oaky, not buttery, not creamy. Vibrant cool-climate acidity and persistent flavors of minerals and intense fruit. More like White Burgundy than New World Chardonnay.

I bought this bottle for $17.99 at Sawall's Health Foods in Kalamazoo. I hope they stock up on it because I will be back for more.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment