Friday, January 8, 2021

Domaine La Garrigue Vacqueyras, 2010

Now this is what Southern Rhone wine is all about--great fruit from 70-year-old vines (80% Grenache, 10% Syrah, 5% Mourvedre, 5% Cinsault) aged in concrete vats to preserve the traditional aromas and flavors. I love it.

Deep but not inky dark. Powerful aromas of black raspberries, blueberries and Provencal herbs. (How can a wine with this name not have garrigue?) Bold flavors; goes beautifully with lamb and chick peas. And what I like most: a streak of black licorice that I associate with wines from Vacqueyras. Is this from the soil? I rarely get it from Gigondas, located just a few kilometers to the south, or Cairanne, a similarly short distance to the north. I love all three appellations, and what I love most is their uniqueness of personality and flavor. That personality is lacking from the barrique aged Les Quatre Filles Cairanne (below).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment