Thursday, December 31, 2020

Louis Barthelmy Brut Amethyste, NV

I knew little about this Champagne when I plucked it off the shelf several years ago. It was undoubtedly a very fine wine at the time, and I am sure it is all the better for the years it spent in my cellar. It's produced from 50% Pinot Noir, 30% Pinot Meunier and 20% Chardonnay from prime vineyards in Ay.

Small, persistent bubbles and fine mousse. Following a small dosage, Amethyste spends extra time on its lees, creating a pleasing yeasty biscuity bouquet. Very fresh. Pinot Nor/Pinot Meunier flavors are dominant. Freshly baked brioche with hints of raspberries. Rich and complex. Leaves a long, lasting memory on the tongue and in the mind. Louis Barthelmy Amethyste has already become one of my favorite Champagnes.

No comments:

Post a Comment