Monday, November 2, 2020

Delas Saint Esprit Cotes du Rhone, 2016

I don't drink as much Cotes du Rhone as I once did. Prices have gone up, and some of my old favorites have gone modern. Nevertheless, I still think CDR is the best and most versatile choice for every day drinking. For my taste, it's a perfect accompaniment for a tomato-based pasta and it also works with either vegetarian or meat-centered meals. It's beautiful young, and some bottles will gain complexity with 5 to 8 years of aging...or even longer. Delas Saint Esprit, a blend of about 60% Syrah and 40% Grenache, is still one of my favorites.

Dark crimson. Intense peppery, spicy aromas from the time the cork is popped, Rich fruit and spice on the tongue. Boysenberries, violets. Firm but ripe tannins. Syrah traits are upfront, but there is also plenty of Grenache pepper and spice. My kind of wine.

I bought this at D&W in Kalamazoo where it sells for $12 to $16.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment