Thursday, November 23, 2017

Domaine Pegau Cuvee Reservee Chateauneuf du Pape, 1989

Donna and I spent Thanksgiving by ourselves (the troops are arriving tomorrow!) but we had plenty of good food and wine to keep us company: crusted rack of lamb with Tuscan bread pudding, roasted potatoes, chocolate pecan pie topped by  creme fraiche...and a glorious bottle of 1989 Domaine Pegau Cuvee Reservee. I remember tasting this 1989 vintage with Laurence Feraud at the estate back in 1991 or 1992. She told me it would age well, and it certainly has.

The color is still deep and bright. And the bouquet is fabulous: cherries, strawberries on a backdrop of black licorice. What is affectionately known among fans as the "Pegau funk" is present but not as strong as in some previous bottles I have had. Actually, very clean and smooth on the palate. Rich in the middle, ripe and long on the finish. This may be the best bottle of the 1989 I have had.

I am thankful for my family, of course. And I am thankful for being able to enjoy good food and great wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment