Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Les Vignerons d'Enclave Cotes du Rhone Villages Valreas Cuvee Prestige. 2013

For $5.99 at Trader Joe's, this Cotes du Rhone Villages is one of the best values in Southern Rhone wines. It's produced by a cooperative, Les Vignerons d'Enclave at Tulette, and some buyers might be turned away by the back label description of "candied fruit aromas and flavors." In fact, I find very little that I would call "candied" in this wine, particularly in the 2013 vintage.

Yes, it is ripe and has smells and flavors of Grenache red berry. But, like other good Southern Rhones, the ripe fruit is supported and framed by black pepper, spice and tobacco. Tannins are pleasingly rustic, and there is good balance of fruit, acid and tannins. I should buy more of this wine.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! Great wine for the price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks for doing this blog. I read it faithfully and even if I cannot find the wines you mention here in vancouver the info you give helps me find similar wines from other producers in the region.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sean. I am glad you enjoy the blog. I would do the blog even if I had no readers. It's my way of making a diary of the wines we drink every night and forcing me to pay close attention to what I'm drinking. Of course, I have loved wine for many years and like to share my experiences with those who have similar tastes.

      Thanks again,
      Fred

      Delete