Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Domaine de l'Oratoire St. Martin Cuvee Prestige, 2001

This is an old favorite of mine that I don't get a chance to drink as often as I did during the early and mid-1990s because the price has finally caught up to the quality. From 100-year-old vines in one of the best sites of Cairanne, this is a special wine. And 15 years after the vintage, this 2001 is showing exceptional fruit presence.

The color is a deep ruby, and there are glorious Cairanne scents of small red berries, flowers and minerals. Not as peppery as some vintages but very forward fruit for a wine of this age. I finished my 1998s several years ago, and they were all more advanced than this 2001. Medium bodied and a rather elegant demeanor. 13.5% alcohol is just right for this wine. A long finish; my taste buds tingle for minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment