Sunday, August 30, 2015

La Vieille Ferme Rouge, 2014

I have long been a fan of the Perrin family and of La Vieille Ferme Ventoux. I love Ventoux and feel that it was and is a greatly under-rated appellation. Even for wines at the lowest end of the pricing scale, such as La Vieille Ferme, Cuvee les Trois Messes Basses and Font-Sane, the red wines have been better than many Cotes du Rhones costing several times as much. I'm still a fan of Ventoux, but apparently this La Veille Ferme is no longer a Ventoux.

Nowhere on the label is any appellation given, and what is in the glass confirms my suspicion. As usual, there is bold, peppery fruit delivered in an authentic style, but there is nowhere near the depth and flavor interest that I have learned to take for granted with this wine over the past 40 years.

Oh, well. It cost only $8, and it worked very well for making beef bourgignon.

No comments:

Post a Comment