Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Epicuro Salice Salentino, 2006

This has to be one of the best values for red wine anywhere. Still $5.99 at Trader Joe's, it's far too easy to brush off as a cheap red wine. I tasted this several times when it was first released, then put a few bottles back to see how well it ages. At nine years, it is coming along fine.

Deep, intense ruby red. I smell dark cherries, wild berries, licorice and flowers. Deep and concentrated. In the mouth, there is more of the same. Velvety mouthfeel, typical of Salice Salentino. Pleasantly sweet. Pleasant because the sweetness comes from ripe fruit and peels rather than oak or residual sugar. For those who like "big" wines, this wine will satisfy, but the alcoholic content is only 13.5% and acid rules over tannin. That's my kind of big wine. This wine has improved substantially with age; it has taken on another dimension but does not taste old.

From my limited experience, I would say that Salice ages well for 10 to 15 years. Aglianico, also available for $5.99 at Trader Joe's, has an even better reputation for aging. I will hold off awhile on my 2006 Aglianicos.

No comments:

Post a Comment