Sunday, July 12, 2015

E. Guigal Cotes du Rhone, 2011

My very first case purchase of a Cotes du Rhone was the 1976 Guigal recommended to me by a wine salesman at what was then Zimmerman's liquor store on Grand Avenue in Chicago (now the site of a Binny's outlet). I had virtually no experience with wine at that time but thoroughly enjoyed every bottle. Since that time, I have had numerous more-than-memorable bottles of this wine--the 1981, 1983 and 1985 were particularly good, and I remember enjoying some vintages all the way into the early 1990s. Guigal's CDR has an excellent reputation for aging as well as for consistency, quality and value. This 2011 seems to fit quite nicely into that tradition.

Very deep ruby/crimson. Probably a fairly high percentage of Syrah in the blend. Red fruits, garrigue and a hint of black pepper. Syrah firmness on mid-palate with a peppery edge that becomes increasingly more prominent. Long finish feature fruit, spice and pepper. Exactly what I like in a Cotes du Rhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment