Sunday, February 1, 2015

Chateau Grand Traverse Old Mission Peninsula Gamay Noir Reserve, 2011

Although I love Riesling, Pinot Blanc, Pinot Gris and Vignoles from Leelanau and Old Mission Peninsulas, I have never been a fan of Michigan reds. I have tasted quite a few oaky reds from the southern part of the state and a few Pinots and Cab Francs from up north that I would classify as promising. But this is the first Michigan red that I would be tempted to buy again. It is, in fact, very good.

I have tasted this wine several times at the winery, but it has broadened and deepened quite a bit with a few months age. Medium light ruby/garnet. Nice peppery aromas from the start, and they get better. Tart cherries with earthy tones. Medium to light body as you would expect from Gamay. Good depth and concentration. I could easily mistake this for a good Bourgogne Rouge. And I do intend to put it on my buy list.

No comments:

Post a Comment