Thursday, September 5, 2013

Chateau Grand Traverse Old Mission Peninsula Whole Cluster Riesling, 2012

On a recent tasting pilgrimage to Old Mission Peninsula in northern Michigan, this was my favorite wine, and I brought home a bottle to share with the family and make sure it was not just a passing fancy. And it was not. This Whole Cluster Riesling still ranks as one of my all-time Michigan favorites.

The label states that "we separately fermented three different Riesling lots from our Bailiwick Vineyard in order to articulate flavors ranging from crisp apple to ripe peach." That probably trumps anything I could say to describe the wine. Yes, crisp apple. Yes, ripe peach. Perfectly defined aromas and flavors. Ripe and peachy on the inside framed by crisp acidity. What I like most is the rich mid-palate presence.
When I was tasting a range of well made wines at this estate, this one clearly stood out at the moment and in my memory. I'll go back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment