Sunday, September 29, 2013

Cave de Lugny Macon-Lugny Les Charmes Chardonnay, 2010

I remember going to a wine tasting in the early 1980s--one of my first ever wine tastings--and being charmed by a Macon-Lugny Les Charmes. Tonight, many vintages later, I am equally charmed.

As the name suggests, Cave de Lugny is a cooperative that accounts for a large percentage of the total production of Maconnais wines. That is nothing to shy away from because I have found some of my favorite wines from French coops. And the price is always several dollars less than a comparable wine that is estate bottled. In this case, the wine comes from a single vineyard, Les Charmes, where the vines are old and planted with the Musk clone of Chardonnay, which undoubtedly accounts for the wonderfully complex aroma and flavor profile.

Pears, almonds, white flowers and minerals with a nice citrus edge. Flavors open up on the palate and just keep humming. A nice almond touch on the long finish. This is a wine I could drink before, during and after the meal.

For $10 to $12 at World Market, this is one of the best Chardonnay values around.

No comments:

Post a Comment