Friday, November 23, 2012

Chateau Fortia Chateaneuf du Pape, 1998

I remember my first experience with this wine at a large Ann Arbor Wine Club tasting of 1998 and 1999 Rhone wines. Among those gathered around the Chateauneuf table, there was pretty clear agreement that Fortia was showing the best at that early age--among some pretty heavy competition. Now at 14 years of age, it is fully mature and is still showing come hither qualities.

The color is a medium light crimson, and the aromas and flavors could be described as pretty rather than powerful or big. In many ways, this wine reminds me of a good red Burgundy.. Cherry, spice and leather with a savory, sea salt note that counters the ripeness. I'm not sure I like it any better than I did at the tasting more than a decade ago, but that was a hard act to follow. It's Thanksgiving, and I'm thankful I have several more bottles of 1998 Fortia.

No comments:

Post a Comment