Friday, August 10, 2012

Delas Saint Esprit Cotes du Rhone, 2009

The Delas Saint Esprit Cotes du Rhone is still my favorite of the 2007 vintage. This is my first look at the 2009, another very good vintage. As with the 2007, it is made from a relatively high percentage (70%) of Syrah, and most of the grapes come from the vicinity of Cairanne, one of my favorite Cotes do Rhone Villages.

Deep purplish color. The aroma profile is a big step up from Castillo de Monseran--blueberries, cassis, currants and flowers. I'm a big lover of Grenache, but Syrah is what makes this wine special. It's medium bodied and rather large in structure but certainly accessible for current drinking. Has a broad plummy finish. At this stage, I don't think the 2009 has as much depth or complexity as my last bottle of the 2007 showed. But it gets better with air, and I suspect it may eventually surpass the excellent 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment