Saturday, July 14, 2012

As Sortes Val de Bibei Valdeorras Godello, 2007

Based on my positive experiences with the 2008 Val de Sil Godello from the Valdeorras region of Spain, I have admired this wine from afar for several months. When the price at D&W Market in Kalamazoo came down from $25 to $14 a bottle, I jumped at the opportunity.

Unlike the Val de Sil, this wine has clearly been aged in new oak, and I'm ambivalent about that. The limey vanilla smells blend nicely with the musky fruit and minerals. As the wine warms, it gets better by the moment--a good sign for a white wine. The mineral, floral spicy notes that make Godello an exciting wine begin to unfold. Like the Val de Sil, it's big and full bodied on the palate. I'm sure both of these Godellos will age very nicely over the next 5 to 10 years or longer. I'd like to have enough in the cellar that I can track their progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment