Saturday, June 9, 2012

Jean Descombes Morgon, 2002

I consider Jean Descombes Morgon one of the best values on the market. For less than $15, you get a wine that gushes with fresh raspberry fruit in its youth but is capable of maturing into a serious wine. I try to sample these wines at various stages of their development, but this 2002 fooled me. Two years ago, I thought I had missed the wine's best years. Tonight, I'm glad I still have three or four bottles left in the cellar.

The color is a medium light garnet, about what it should be for a Cru Beaujolais this age. The bouquet is low key but deep--cherries, pomegranate, spice. The more you sniff, the better it gets. On the palate, it's very cherry--almost like walking into the Cherry Republic in Traverse City. Very fruity but also deep and serious if you take the time to savor it. Has Pinot elegance and a very satisfying finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment