Monday, August 15, 2011

Finca Luzon Jumilla Monastrell, 2009

A couple of years, I bought an inexpensive Spanish wine with an unusual label--some green blades of grass or weeds, eyed by a couple of flying insects. That was Finca Luzon Verde Jumilla Monastrell 2005, and for $6.99 I found range and precision of flavors that are usually found in wines costing several times that much. Alas, I bought only one bottle and have been searching for more ever since. Last month, I discovered the wine's sibling, Finca Luzon Jumilla Monstrell 2009 for a similar price at Binny's Beverage Depot in Chicago. This apparently is the non-organic version of the "Verde."

Like the Luzon Verde I remember from two years ago, this wine has a deep, bluish Mourvedre color (Monastrell is Spanish for Mourvedre). The aromas are fresh and forward--blueberries, blue plums, licorice and lavender. Very ripe and supple on the mid-palate and very enjoyable, but it's not as focused nor as complex as the Luzon Verde of my memory. It reminds me a lot of the Tarima Jumilla Monastrell I reported on a couple of weeks ago, although not as powerful nor tannic.

No comments:

Post a Comment