Friday, July 8, 2011

Louis Latour Domaine de Valmoissine Pinot Noir, 2007

The medium light garnet color pegs this wine as a Pinot Noir; otherwise, the peppery, spicy aromas and flavors might lead me to think I'm drinking a very good Grenache/Syrah wine from the Southern Rhone. I buy Domaine de Valmoissine nearly every vintage, but this is the first time I've encountered this much pepper and spice. No complaints; I love it.

After a few sips, the old Valmoissine traits make their appearance--red berries, cherries, fruit leather and a sleek texture typical of Pinot Noir made by a Burgundian. Riper than usual but also seemingly more tannins and acids. With aeration, the nose opens beautifully with floral scents to join the pepper and spice. Pinot earth in spades on the finish. This is a very good Valmoissine; fortunately, I have a few more bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment