Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Snoqualmie Columbia Valley Chardonnay, 2009

Snoqualmie produces a Naked Chardonnay that would probably be more to my liking. But when I saw this Columbia Valley oaked version for $7.99 at my local D&W market, I couldn't resist.

The color is very light; still young. Yes, I do smell toasty oak, buttered pears, brown sugar and a touch of cinnamon. The oak is deftly done, though, and it should integrate nicely with a bit of time. On the palate, too, the toasty character still dominates, but there are clearly some pear and tropical fruit elements waiting to emerge. This wine is fortunately not too big or showy, and there is a little bit of Viognier in the blend to add fragrance and subtlety. At this price, I'm ready to commit myself to at least a half case purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment