Friday, August 6, 2010

Guigal Cote Rotie Brune et Blonde, 1990

This is from a 375 ml bottle, and I would say that a half bottle of this is worth at least a magnum of any other Syrah you could put on the table. Although some brown/amber tones are forming, this 20-year-old is still remarkably deep and dark. Because it was from a half bottle, we probably finished this wine off too quickly to let the remarkable bouquet open up. The one quality everyone at the table noted was lavendar but I also smelled thyme, grilled tomatoes, and red and black fruits. I wish I had been more patient finishing off my glass, but the flavors and palate feel were too good to resist. Smooth and round with clearly defined flavors. Red berries and animal. Great concentration and lively fruit on the finish. This has to rank as one of my top wines of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment