Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pierre Andre Bourgogne Chardonnay Reserve, 2005

Wow! This may be one of the best Bourgogne Chardonnays I've had. Bourgogne Blanc is the least expensive, generic appellation of white Burgundy, usually the produce of young vines or grapes from higher-priced appellations that didn't make the cut. Most are very good values, but this one is particularly impressive.

The color is a medium gold with good brilliance. The nose is very deep and classy with scents of peaches, apricots and the mineral qualities I love so much in wines from Puligny-Montrachet and Saint Aubin. There are also broader aromas of hazelnuts and grains plus hints of limey French oak (not too much). There's a nice racy quality in the aromas to counter the ripe fruit. In the mouth, there's a rich, creamy feel and the flavor components are persistent and finely focused. This tastes expensive, as fine white Burgundy shou ld. It's at a good state of maturity for drinking right now, but I don't expect it to fade any time soon.

At its regular retail price of $14.99, I would consider this wine a good value. I feel almost sheepish to admit that I got it for $5.49 on the surplus wine closeout shelf at Harding's Market. Sorry. I bought all that was there; otherwise, I'd go back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment