Thursday, March 21, 2024

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz Caberbet, 2019

Donna and I were living in Melbourne, Australia when the first Koonuinga Hill Shiraz Cabernet was produced in 1976. Since the wine was priced at $2 to $3 a bottle, we drank it frequently with great pleasure. That 1976 Koonunga Hill turned out to be a special wine aging beautifully for two decades and more. The vineyards that produced that great 1976 are undoubtedly used now for more expensive wines with the Penfolds label. Penfolds doesn't claim that this wine comes from the Koonunga vineyard in Barossa but merely that it is styled and named after it. And my enjoyment tonight with pizza is similar to the enjoyment I enjoyed 40 some years ago.

Bright ruby red. Blackberries, blueberries and plums with dark chocolate on the mid palate. Full bodied and full flavored. Enough acid to tease the back palate. I liked it enough to come back for bottles of the 2020 when I saw them offered on the shelf, and I will reach for it again with every day meals..

No comments:

Post a Comment