Friday, November 3, 2023

Chateau la Louviere Pessac Leognan Blanc, 1983

White wines from Graves (Bordeaux) haven't been on my radar for many years. I bought them in the mid-1980s because they tasted good young and had potential for long-term aging. When I saw this 1983 Louviere Blanc in the cellar, I thought it was probably long past its prime. But not so.

Deep gold color. The bouquet is mature but with no noticeable signs of oxidation. Apples, pears, honey and lime. I was thirsty when I pulled the cork, and the first sip seemed to be thirst quenching--a good sign. The wine clearly has the acidity needed to keep it.alive. And age has given it complexity and interest. I am siure this wine would have been better a decade ago, but it is holding up well at age 40.

No comments:

Post a Comment