Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Chateau Grand Traverse Old Mission Peninsula Gamay Noir Limited, 2018.

I have always been enthusiastic about tasting Pinot Noirs from the cool climate of northern Michigan. However, the Gamay Noir wines from Chateau Grand Traverse strike me as more typical of fine Pinot Noir than any of the Pinot Noirs I have tasted, even those from the CGT estate. In fact, they are my favorite reds of any kind from Old Mission or Leelanau. This Limited is the less expensive Gamay Noir bottling, selling for $14 to $16 a bottle and an incredible bargain.

Very light garnet. Tart cherry, plum and spice. Has the zesty, peppery mid-palate and finish that reminds me of some of the top Oregon Pinots. This is on my buy list every year, and I am impressed by this 2018 vintage.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment