Thursday, May 27, 2021

Willamette Valley Vineyards Tualatin Estate Chardonnay, 2018

At the American Wine Society tasting with Jim Bernau, founder of Willamette Valley Vineyards, I was so impressed by the Bernau Block Chardonnay that I followed up by seeking out and tasting Oregon Chardonnays, I have yet to be disappointed. This Tualatin Estate Chardonnay comes from the Draper clone as opposed to the Dijon Clone used for the Bernau Block. And it is clearly made in an oak-prominent style more like other high end New World Chardonnays.

Winemaker's notes mention lemon cream pie, but what I smell is key lime pie. The new oak component is strong in this wine, and at least some French cooperage imparts a limey note. There is so much more in this wine, though--brioche, orange blossom, vanilla. Creamy texture with good acidity. I prefer the Bernau Block and the WVV Dijon Clone Chardonnays, but this is also an impressive offering.

No comments:

Post a Comment