Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Franco Serra Langhe Nebbiolo, 2015

tFrancoSerra-NebbioloLangheI just bought a few bottles of the 2017 Franco Serra Langhe Nebbiolo at D&W's online wine sale and decided go to the cellar for an earlier vintage (which I bought two years ago at the same sale) to see how the wine is coming along. I am happy to report that it is doing well and more than meeting my expectations.

The brickish red color is normal for a young Nebbiolo. And it tells me that the wine has been made in the traditional way, aged in large, seasoned barrels rather than new oak barriques. The aroma is stunning: fresh flowers, dark cherries and savory herbs. Gets prettier with every swirl and every minute in the glass. I could be happy just sniffing a good Nebbiolo. And this is a good one. More of the same on the tongue plus some teasing black olive flavors. It's a bit firm and tannic right now but with plenty of acid to keep it lively. This will get better over another decade, but I don't have time or inclination to wait. For $12 a bottle, this is just what I need while waiting for my Barolos and Barbarescos to mature.

All Franco Serra wines (Barbaresco, Barbera, Dolcetto) are great bargains. This 2015 Nebbiolo is special.

No comments:

Post a Comment