Monday, September 10, 2018

Chateau Cabrieres Chateauneuf du Pape, 1998

Chateauneuf du Pape wines were still relatively inexpensive when the very good 1998 vintage came to market. Even so, this wine was surprisingly cheap--under $10 a bottle, as I remember--when I visited Sam's (now Binney's) in Chicago. "This is one for drinking right away," the salesman told me. I was smart enough not to believe him. Chateau Cabrieres has good vines on rocky soil in the southern part of the appellation. And in 1998 the wine was made according to traditional practices. Now at 20 years of age, it is precisely what I like in a Chateauneuf du Pape.

Brilliant ruby with some amber shading. Powerful and typical CdP nose. Red berries, spice and leather on the palate. More savory than sweet. Unpretentious but worth all the attention you can give it. Long finish. Traditional Chateauneuf du Pape; wish I had bought more.

No comments:

Post a Comment