Thursday, December 1, 2016

Louis Latour Auxey Duresses Blanc, 1996

This is a 20-year-old mid- to low-level white Burgundy drinking beautifully right now. I have had this wine several times over the past 16 to 18 years, and it has never been better than it is tonight.

Deep gold. Don't worry about the color; this wine is alive and growing. Almonds, white peaches, flowers and grain. Aromas that keep coming at you, and flavors that are layered and complex. Each sip creates a new memory that lingers and lingers. This is a unique experience.

I paid about $15 for this Auxey Duresses at Village Corner in Ann Arbor during the late 1990s. Even if I could live another 20 years (which is highly unlikely), I could not expect the current vintage of this wine to still be delivering pleasure after so many years in the bottle. Things have clearly changed in the way Burgundian Chardonnays are made, but I am fortunate to have a few relics from the good old days.

No comments:

Post a Comment