Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Giacoma Fenocchio Langue Freisa, 2013

As much as I love Piedmont reds, I hadn't heard of Freisa until recently, and this is my first bottle. It's an old grape, probably an ancestor of Nebbiolo, that has not gained the prominence of Barolo and Barbaresco...or even Langhe Nebbiolo. But this bottle from Giacoma Fenocchio is very, very good, and I will certainly be back for more.

Deep ruby color. The bouquet, even at this young age, is heavenly. Cherries, raspberries--a whole fruit orchard surrounded by rose bushes. Deep, dark and full of passion. I love to sniff Nebbiolo, but I think this may be even more enchanting. The same on the palate. Layers of flavor framed by good acidity and mouth drying tannins. Yes, there is some bitterness on the finish, but it's a pleasant bitterness, like that of dark chocolate. This wine is clearly an ager, but at my age, who cares?

The wine list at Bistro Stella in Traverse City introduced me to Freisa, focusing on G.D. Vajra's Kye. I was tempted to try a glass of the Kye but instead went for a Nebbiolo d'Alba, which was very good. I hope the Kye is still on the wine list the next time I get to Travere City. And in the meantime, I will be looking for other Freisa wines. I bought this from WineLibrary.com for $20.23 with free shipping from New Jersey. Worth every penny.

No comments:

Post a Comment