Thursday, August 18, 2016

Domaine Mireille et Vincent Cotes du Rhone

I have had the Mireille et Vincent Cotes du Rhone in the past and always enjoyed its traditional style. This vintage, which I ordered by the glass at Martha's Table in Sutton's Bay, MI, was a distinct disappointment, although I suspect that others might disagree.

In the glass, the wine is dark enough that it's virtually impossible to distinguish it from the Joel Gott Cabernet beside it on the table. The smells are also very similar--coffee, chocolate, black fruits--ripe and lush like a California Cabernet or Zinfandel. The flavors are ripe and oaky enough that I find it hard to finish the glass. Oh well, that is the direction that many makers of Cotes du Rhone have taken. And I don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment