Saturday, January 24, 2015

Boskydel Leelanau Peninsula Soleil Blanc, 2008

Bernie Rink, the Leelanau Peninsula pioneer who founded Boskydel, told me that all of his wines are better with age, and so far I believe him. He also believes that Soleil Blanc, a French hybrid, is his best dry white, and I agree that it's very good, although I still prefer the Vignoles. None of the Boskydel wines are distributed very far from the winery near Lake Leelanau, but go to the unpretentious tasting shed at the winery, and you can buy a case of either wine for about $70--one of the best bargains anywhere.

In the days of predictable Chardonnays and Sauvignons, Soleil Blanc has a pleasingly unique personality. Bright yellow. Flowers, peaches and citrus. Fresh and lively for a seven-year-old white. And i t's still developing complexity and personality. Unfortunately, I'm reaching the bottom of the case I bought several years ago. I'll have to go back soon to stock up.

No comments:

Post a Comment