Sunday, June 15, 2014

Louis Latour Savigny les Beaune Blanc, 1996

The last bottle of this wine that I opened was on March 10, 2008 (look up the note if you're interested). I was worried that I might have waited too long. And maybe I did. Six years ago, the wine was incredibly good; tonight, for lack of a better adjective, it is damn good. If it's lost a tiny bit of its past charm, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it because I've been drinking good wine every day since.

The color is a beautiful deep gold, brilliant and clear. The oak was integrated nicely into the citrus-oriented fruit smells. If the wine has lost anything since 2008, it would be freshness; but there is certainly nothing stale or flat about it. The flavors are rich and concentrated but with good acidity and an aftertaste that seems to last forever. The finish of this wine is enough to bring me back for sip after sip. Unfortunately, it's my last bottle.

Most Savigny les Beaune wines are red, of course. Whites make up only about 3.5 percent of total production. According to the Louis Latour web site: "We find the best terroirs of Savigny-les-Beaune ten minute drive to the north of Beaune, in the extreme west of the appellation in the village of Bouilland. It was on this site that the Chardonnay grapes are harvested.This is not a surprise if some growers compare these vineyards and the composition of their soils to those of the famous and near Corton-Charlemagne."

No comments:

Post a Comment