Sunday, November 17, 2013

Michele Chiarlo Barbera d'Asti, 2010

Here is another Barbera. I had it a week ago, but it is still fresh in my memory. I brought it out for a special gourmet dinner, and I still think of it as a special occasion rather than an every day wine. It's different from the Rocca dell' Olmo (below) but really not significantly better, although it cost twice as much ($12.99) and was #46 on the Wine Spectator's list of the 100 Best Wines of 2012.

Same medium deep ruby color. Deep, deep, deep scents of cherries, licorice and black pepper. I love the tension between ripe fruit and dark spices. It's on full display on the palate as well as the nose. Now some roses--very much like a good Nebbiolo. More weight than the Rocco dell' Olmo and the tannins are maybe more noticeable. That may be the vintage talking. Very long finish and it gets better with every sip.

No comments:

Post a Comment