Monday, December 12, 2011

Chateau Pesquie Terrasses Ventoux, 2010

I went through a stage, a few decades ago, when Robert Parker points had a significant influence on my wine buying. I've changed, and so has Robert Parker. Today, when I'm told that Parker awarded a wine 94 points (as he did this Ventoux), my first thought is that someone must think a hard sell is necessary. I really liked the 2008 Pesquie Terrasses, though, so I thought the 2010 (a much better vintage) was worth a try. Glad I did.

Ventoux is ordinarily a smaller scaled wine--full bodied but fruity and charming from day one. This 2010 Terrasses (like the 2008) is a much bigger, more tannic wine...but still in the Ventoux tradition and very accessible. Deep, dark and bluish tints but no sign of new oak in color, texture or aroma. Very peppery and spicy, reminds me of the 2007 Delas Saint Esprit Cotes du Rhone. La Terrasses is 70% Grenache, 30% Syrah, but it comes across as much heavier on the Syrah. That is likely to change, of course, but I like what the wine is showing now as well as what it promises in a year or two. Spicy, peppery, dark berry fruit. None of the tanky odors I got from the 2o07 Terrasses. 13.5% alcohol is just about right. I wouldn't give it 94 points. But maybe 91 or 92.

2 comments:

  1. Comparing it to the Delas St. Esprit is quite a compliment in my book as the Delas is one of my favorite Rhones.

    I've always thought that wine magazines such as Parker are most useful to two groups of wine buyers: novices looking for guidance to help them get started and investors looking for blue chip wines that will appreciate in value.

    I'm kind of glad that I don't pay attention to them these days. I know if infuriates the heck out of the guy who owns the wine store that I work at. He always drops WS or RP ratings as part of his hard sell to a customer. I avoid that kind of stuff like the plague.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Have you seen my posts on the Delas Saint Esprit? I agree: it's one of my favorite Rhones right now too. I understand that the grapes come from Cairanne, which is my favorite CDR Villages. And it has the depth you expect from a Villages wine.

    ReplyDelete