Monday, February 7, 2011

Domaine du Vieux Chene Vin de Pays de Vaucluse Viognier, 2009

I like Viognier but am not a connoisseur. I've tried many of the pricey labels from Condrieu in the Northern Rhone but found all of them less appealing to my taste than inexpensive country Viogniers such as this one. The 2009 Vieux Chene VDP Viognier can be obtained for $6.99 right now at Sawall's Health Foods in Kalamazoo. I'm not pretending that it's a ringer for a $50 Condrieu. But I like it.

Bright medium yellow./ Peaches and flowers, delicate and pretty./ Same on the palate. Round and ripe. Ripe pears, then more flowers and a ripe, musky finish. This reminds of the inexpensive Georges duBoeuf Viogniers I bought regularly in the 1980s. It's probably not as overpoweringly fragrant as a Condrieu. Nor does it have the bitter note on the finish that apparently is a hallmark of good Viognier. I'll admit that I don't completely understand Viognier. But I like this wine. And its price.

No comments:

Post a Comment