Sunday, January 23, 2011

Domaine Loew Alsace Tokay Pinot Gris Cormier, 2004

Pinot Gris, Pinot Grigio--same grape but very different wines. My wife, who is a Pinot Grigio fan, finds this wine a bit "too sweet." As a Pinot Gris fan, I find it just right, showcasing the broad, fruit flavors of Alsace Pinot Gris.

Medium deep yellow./ Ripe pear with some apple, honey and flowers--very pretty./ Yes, there is some slight sweetness but I think it comes from the ripe fruit flavors rather than residual sugar. I like the full bodied, glycerined texture and the broad, pungent flavors. There is also a pleasantly bitter note on the finish that is typical of Alsace Pinot Gris. It counters the ripeness and keeps me interested in exploring all the nooks and crannies. Definitely Gris rather than Grigio. And I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment