Saturday, November 6, 2010

Agricole Vallone Salice Salentino Rosso Riserva Vereto, 2000

I assumed that this wine was on its last legs when I saw many, many bottles on the closeout shelf at Harding's Market for $4.79 a bottle. I avoided it for several days, thinking it was no bargain, then tried a bottle. And the first bottle sent me back for more and more. But that was two years ago, and the wine just keeps getting better and better.

It's a deep ruby with good saturated color, and the bouquet is beautifully mature but without any loss of vibrant fruit. Dark cherries, licorice, flowers--sweetish fruit with ripe skin tannins but plenty of racy acidity. A long, ripe finish, no hard edges. Very Italian, very Puglian, very good. I once had a stash of this wine, but it is too good to stay away from.

No comments:

Post a Comment