Sunday, January 3, 2010

Louis Latour Domaine de Valmoissine Pinot Noir, 2007

This wine has a more forward personality than any Valmoissine I've tasted. But then it's the youngest Valmoissine I've had.

The color is a very deep crimson, and aromas of red berries, flowers and warm cherry tart burst from the glass. Flavors are the same. It's not as delicate as past vintages, but I suspect that will develop over time along with greater complexity. It's a very intense wine, and I'm looking forward to following its progress.

At this stage, this Vin de Pays des Coteaux du Verdon reminds me of a young Southern Rhone such as a Cairanne or Ventoux, and that's probably why I like it so much. Tasted beside the Cellier des Chartreux Cotes du Rhone (below) it was sweeter and not as peppery but has a similar personality and style.

Louis Latour's Valmoissine Pinot Noir is always a good value at about $15 a bottle, but Cost Plus World Market offered the 2007 for $9.99. I bought six bottles and got an additional 10% discount.

No comments:

Post a Comment