Saturday, December 26, 2009

Cellier des Chartreux Chevalier d'Anthelme Cotes du Rhone, 2007

This Cotes du Rhone was recommended to me by Rod Johnson, now head of the wine department at Plum Market in Ann Arbor. For more than 20 years when he was on the staff at Village Corner, Rod reliably steered me toward Rhone wines that pleased my palate, and this time was no exception. Neither he nor I had heard of this label, but I found online that Cellier des Chartreux is a large wine store, operating sort of like a cooperative, between Chateauneuf du Pape and Avignon. I visited a similar outlet near Beaume de Venise a couple of years ago.

As I expected, this is a traditionally made Cotes du Rhone. It's a deep crimson color, and it smells as a Cotes du Rhone should--black and red berries with ample garrigue--very forward. The wine has good body, strength and just the right degree of ripeness and warmth (13.5%). Long spicy finish. There is a pleasing tang to the fruit flavors that reminds me of the Delas Saint Esprit Cotes du Rhone, one of my favorites of the 2007 vintage. I suspect there is a good bit of Syrah and maybe some Cinsault in the blend.

For $7.99 a bottle, my only regret is that I didn't buy more.

No comments:

Post a Comment