Thursday, September 3, 2009

Franciscan Oakville Estate Chardonnay, 2005`

This wine has all the credentials of a Napa Valley Chardonnay. It's a medium deep gold, fully mature. The nose is butter, butter, butter, then ripe pears and nearly ripe pineapple. It's creamy on the tongue and as buttery as a Julia Child dessert; yet still with enough acid to keep it lively and a good match for tomato-based fish stew. Tropical fruits and butter; rich and luscious, but with the fish stew I get almost a note of red berries. For my taste, I prefer the Pierre Andre Bourgogne Chardonnay (see below), but my table companion likes this style of Chardonnay, and there is no denying that it is a very good example at a good price. Regular retail price for Franciscan Chardonnay is $17 to $20, a low price for an Oakville wine, but I bought this on closeout at Harding's Market for $12.49. And I'll probably go back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment