Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sella & Mosca Cannonau Riserva (Sardinia), 2004

Given my love for Grenache-based wines, I can't really justify my ignorance of Cannonau--the Italian Grenache. I chose a glass of this very enjoyable Cannonau from the wine list of the Lucrezia Italian BCafe in Chesterton, Indiana and can't wait to re-visit both the wine and the restaurant.

The color is a deep crimson with some noticeable bricking, but there is nothing old about the smells and flavors. Actually, this wine reminds me of a good Gigondas or Cairanne--big, spicy, peppery with sweetish blueberry fruit. As with a Southern Rhone, the black pepper, licorice element on the finish serves as a foil to the ripe fruit and gives the wine backbone and interest. It's at a good stage of maturity right now. This is my style of wine. Cannonau, where have you been all my life?

2 comments:

  1. Can you recommend any good cannonau labels worth trying? I've also heard great things about it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I think this Sella & Mosca is the only one I've tasted.

    Interesting coincidence: I just bought a couple of bottles of the Sella & Mosca this afternoon. It was on sale for $13.79 minus 15% discount at D&W in Kalamazoo.

    ReplyDelete